1.09.2011

let's take a ride ...

As some of you may know, I was an English major at BYU and really loved to write and express myself creatively. Since then, the years have passed and with that, so has my ability and my desire to write. I find this so tragic. Writing and self expression used to be such a huge part of who I was and with the passing years, I feel like I have lost that part of myself.

As I was preparing for Seminary tonight, I was reading in Doctrine and Covenants 88 and came across a well loved scripture. Verse 118 reads: "And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith."

This verse was just want I needed to hear. So often my life is consumed with diaper changes, sword fighting, reasoning with an unreasonable three year old and all of the other monotonous joys of being a mother to two small children. While I love being a mom, I often find myself wondering how I am enhancing my own mind. I rarely find time to read a good adult novel. I know that The Cat in the Hat is great literature, but I find myself craving more - more learning, more study, more thought, and more personal fulfillment.

So, what am I going to do about it you may ask? Well, I am going to try a little experiment that a friend from High School is doing. You can read about her adventures here. I know that I will by no means write daily, but I hope that through this little adventure, I will find a piece of myself that once was. Feel free to come along for the journey.

No comments: