1.22.2009

inauguration day ...

I know I'm a few days late, but I couldn't let any more time pass by without posting my feelings about Tuesday and the Presidential Inauguration. What an amazing day it was. I was completely glued to the television, in awe of how far country has come in the past 200 years and how united we are as a country right now. I wish more than anything I could have been in DC for that momentous day! I was so moved by President Obama's address when he said:

"For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.

Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends — hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism — these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility — a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

...Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations."

What beautiful and true words. This country is in turmoil, but it is up to every American, not just one man to fix our flaws. I have realized these past few days that I must take it upon myself to create a positive environment for my family to live in. I can not just sit back and hope that things will change for the better. I have to actively be a part of that change, both in my home and in my community. While I may not agree fully with President Obama's policies and ideals, I do agree that it is up to us to rectify America and bring it back to its full glory.

We are in good hands as a country, both in our new President and in the character of our people. I pray that I can leave this world better than when I entered it and leave a legacy of hope for my children that will carry on.

2 comments:

kenna said...

Beautifully put.

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

I have to say that the entire day I was a little emotional. I am so grateful for this nation. I feel that we can and will come back from the recent set backs we have experienced. It is up to all of us to make things better. President Obama's address was very moving.